Thursday, January 7, 2010

Am I wrong to assume my mechanic is capable of cleaning the oil off of my '96 Ford Taurus' motor to find leak?

We took my husband's car (1996 Ford Taurus) to the shop to have the spark plugs and belt changed. There was also an oil leak in the engine that the mechanics were supposed to look at. We already had the plugs and the belt for the car, since we'd intended to change them ourselves but haven't had the time to do it recently.





The mechanic called my mom about the car today and told her that we'd need to take the car to have the engine steam cleaned because there was so much oil on it and they couldn't tell where the leak was. They also told her that they had changed the spark plugs, although they had to purchase new ones (at $6 each)because the ones we had brought in ';were the wrong size.';





I waited half an hour for them to call me after that, then gave up and called them. At first they said the car was ';ready,'; then confirmed that I would have to take it to a car wash, have it cleaned, and bring it back. They never said anything about the spark plugs directly to me.Am I wrong to assume my mechanic is capable of cleaning the oil off of my '96 Ford Taurus' motor to find leak?
ok that is a good question. If you brought the parts and assuming they were wrong...the garage should have put the car to the side and let you make the decision whether you wanted them to purchase the correct plugs. Also..any garage I know has the means to clean the engine themselves rather than have you take it to the car wash and have you do it.





My suggestion would be that you tell them you will pay the same price for the plugs they installed that you would pay at the auto parts store...you purchased them yourself to save money.





That would be an unauthorized repair.





Secondly, I'd ask them for the old plugs...so you can compare at the parts store that you purchased the correct plugs. If you did then you owe them nothing for the plugs just the labor...which is what you originally had on mind in the first place.





And I would never take this car to that garage again.Am I wrong to assume my mechanic is capable of cleaning the oil off of my '96 Ford Taurus' motor to find leak?
just pay for their spark plugs and return yours...you shouldnt be paying more labor but you will be charge for their parts...how do you know the car is leaking oil if you cant see it???
Here in California we have a Bureau of Auto Repair where you can complain about practices like what you have experienced. Try and negotiate a settlement, like having the labor for replacing the plugs applied towards the labor for replacing what ever gasket is leaking. It sounds to me like you went to a pretty bad shop, since anywhere I have gone to, either would steam clean it themselves or take it to a car wash for you. Your lesson learned is that this is not the place to have your car repaired and let everyone know your feelings. Most shops rely on good referrals for a large part of their business. Let them know how you feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment