Tuesday, December 22, 2009

99 Honda 400ex is not leaking oil but there is no oil on the dipstick when i check it what is the problem?

O.k. i put the correct amount of oil in as it says but when i check the oil there is no oil on the dipstick. When i start it and let it idle for a few minutes it reads fine. I don't know if this is normal or not so could you guys please help me! I have read that this could be improper oil filter installation but I'm not sure. So if you could give me all the information you could. Thank You!99 Honda 400ex is not leaking oil but there is no oil on the dipstick when i check it what is the problem?
oil is not returning from engine or you are burning oil in a very bad way99 Honda 400ex is not leaking oil but there is no oil on the dipstick when i check it what is the problem?
Either you didn't put in enough oil, or you are not checking the oil level properly.





Start and run the engine for a few minutes - to allow the oil to circulate throughout the engine, fill the oil cooler %26amp; oil lines and fill the oil filter.


Stop the engine and let it sit for a few minutes - to allow the oil to settle to the bottom of the crankcase.


Check the oil level while the engine is not running.


Check the oil level by resting the dipstick on it's threads (do not screw in the dip stick).


Add or drain oil as necessary.
chek ur dipstick for originality, if it is too short and does not touch the oil in the sump you'll feel ur car is runnin less oil, the other problem cud be worn out piston rings in this case the oil gets burnt in the cylinder due to the gap between the rings and the cylinder so u dont see any oil leak but the oil still disappears
it sounds like you have several very good answers. have you been fouling plugs? it sounds as though you are not putting enough oil in it or it has the wrong dipstick in the engine.
400ex is a pain in the butt when it comes to oil level.

2 comments:

  1. There is a pressure relief valve that If it gets stuck will not allow oil back into the engine on that and tends to stay jammed up in the oil cooler. It's like 1.78qt or something close to that and 2.23ish is there's not a single drop of oil in it. Well I put over 3 quarts in one in my shop just to get a reading then after I got a reading I pulled the drain plug, after doing proper procedure for the oil check obviously and the crankcase was bone dry so I just discovered that there an oil pressure relief valve in there that get stuck on those so I'm actually going to be working on the same issue next week w one in my shop currently. As I get into it I can give you my phone number of you think that can help you out also, my name is Tim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's easier to just email me for more info becuz I'm rarely in sites like this, my email is pinkfloyd51004@gmail.com. just post the subject so that I know to open it

    ReplyDelete