Tuesday, December 22, 2009

My mechanic told me I should pressure wash my engine to see where my oil is leaking, will it hurt anything?

I get nervous of things coming loose but was told that I should pressure wash the engine so all the oil could get off the engine to see where it is leaking. Also, today my mom said she heard a low knocking noise in my engine, could this be something serious? I have a 1996 Mercury Sable, the body is in excellent condition and the car looks brand new, just a lot of internal problems. Need advice!My mechanic told me I should pressure wash my engine to see where my oil is leaking, will it hurt anything?
Nisi, I've been giving car engines high pressure soapy car washes for 45 years. You can spray off *everything but the sound deadening material under the hood lid. If you miss and hit it - no biggie it'll just drip on your fresh sanitary engine compartment.





Wish you could actually see how clean and bright everything will look! I have an old Winter beater 98 Mercury Sable, 04 Toyota Camry and a 99 bright red Pontiac Grand Prix. They all have super clean engine compartments.





It's much easier to work inside a clean engine compartment and keep track of ';all kinds of stuff'; I will guarantee you'll hit the motor a couple times a year cause if you're a lady, you want things clean!





I hate to disrespect other peoples opinions but do not bother with stinking engine degreasers. It will leave an oil slick in your driveway and your motor will smell like stenchy kerosene when you fire it up after doing a ';half-*ssed'; job.My mechanic told me I should pressure wash my engine to see where my oil is leaking, will it hurt anything?
What language does this mechanic speak that he is translating to english? You might have your engine steam cleaned by a shop that does that service, but to stick a pressure washer under the hood is asking for trouble. You should not get an alternator wet. It can short out. You don't want water going down your carburetor or throttle body and you don't want your distributor wet. You can clean this engine with Gunk Foaming engine cleaner- there are instructions on the can. Brush the sludge off and hose off the residue carefully and not on a hot engine! The whole point of this is so you can tell fresh leaking from what's already all over the place.





The low knocking your mother reported may be a sign of impending doom. You mention a lot of internal engine problems. For a little more money, you might just get a rebuilt engine put in. It's starting to come together... leaking oil... knocking...1996.... car still looks good...been to a mechanic... start counting your mad money for some major repairs.
Wash your motor when the engine is cool and do not use high pressure. Get a can of ';gunk'; or another engine degreaser, spray on cool motor, protect the painted surfaces of your fenders with towels, wait ten minutes and hose off with low pressure water. Towel dry what you can get too, and then start te engine and let run a few minutes. A knocking noise from the engine usually indicates a bad bearing.
it will hurt if you dont know how to od it correctly


you can get all the eletrical st uff wet, which is a no





and knocking noise in an egnine is never good

No comments:

Post a Comment