Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Bar Oil Leaking When Not In Use?

When I'm ready to use my saw, I always find it in a puddle of bar oil. I took the chain saw apart to see where it was coming from and I can actually see the oil coming out at a high rate of speed from what looks like the normal oil discharge opening. How do I slow the rate of discharge. Read the manual? Nope, it's lost.Bar Oil Leaking When Not In Use?
I don't know that there is an adjustment for this. It really depends on your saw. You may be able to download a copy of the owner's manual online.





I do know that all the saws I have owned (and there have been many), they all leaked bar oil when in storage and not in use. I think it may be because of the physics of oil expanding when it gets hot. Heat of the day will cause the oil to expand, and thus leak.Bar Oil Leaking When Not In Use?
My saws have an oil adjuster(husky and stihl). Screw is located on the bottom of both saws. They still seem to leak a little when in storage. Not too much, just a little. It may have to do with the position of storage or also thermal expansion of the oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment