Wednesday, December 16, 2009

How urgently should I fix a slight oil leak?

My car had its 100,000kms service today. My mechanic indicated that there is a slight oil leak from the distributor seal evident. I have to take it back for further investigation, however since I have just paid a big bill to have all the fans replaced, and it is hard to take my car in to get fixed since I use it every day for work, I'd rather put this off for a while if I can.





My question is how long should I leave this sort of thing for, as I don't know whether this is a minor problem or a major one.How urgently should I fix a slight oil leak?
At 100,000,miles I think all cars would have at least a minor oil leak/seepage. I wouldn't be concerned about it unless the leak is putting oil into the distributor wiring and electronics and not just on the outside. Nothing is perfect.How urgently should I fix a slight oil leak?
Steam Clean the Engine, Tighten the Mounting Bolt and check the Distributor Again, may be able to wait two weeks or so if not too bad.
It's not urgent, though it will probably slowly continue to get worse. It really depends on how annoying the oil leak is to you. I don't know what make and model car you have, but from what I have read it's a simple fix. The outer distributor seal/gasket is about $10 plus labor. It could be the inner gasket though, which will take more work to change. For some engines the entire distributor must be replaced and they aren't cheap. The distributor is, of course, an important part of the engine, but as long as it isn't misfiring and you keep an eye on the oil level, you should be good to go until you feel like having it changed.
鈥極ne drop of oil can spoil a million drops of water
Its not the type of seal to suddenly get worse and quickly loose all the oil in your engine. So its not a major problem. But if the leaking oil gets onto anything else, ie: wiring %26amp; hoses etc, it can cause further problems.





Get it fixed next service. It shouldn't be too expensive.
You should get it fixed fairly soon. If you want to save alot of money, you can add some Lucas Engine Oil Stop Leak. This will renew the seal and it is alot cheaper than paying a garage hundreds of dollars.

No comments:

Post a Comment