Wednesday, December 16, 2009

How much does it cost to fix an oil leak?

I have a 99' PLYMOUTH neon... went shopping the other day and came out side and saw oil under my car. Didn't know if it was mine or not.. it wasn't a ton of oil it was raining so it made it look worse. Then I moved to another spot and noticed it was making a trail from my car. I was told not to drive it so i havent been. But now that I am gonna take it in today I checked the oil and its way below the minimum amount that is supposed to be there... soo... just wondering a price range of how much this is gonna cost?How much does it cost to fix an oil leak?
Start with the least expensive, you could have a loose oil filter and replacing it will solve the problem. From there, you could have any of a hundred possibilities. Usually the part is cheap, it's the labor that kills you. It usually requires that you take a lot apart to get at a little seal and it's the taking everything apart that costs so much. Have it towed to where it will be repaired, the leak that you described, would possibly drain the engine before you arrive. That would mean serious engine damage if not destroy the engine.How much does it cost to fix an oil leak?
Oh dear,I had the same problem with my 99 Plymouth Neon. It was the head gasket,cost me $1,200.00 to fix. My mechanic told me almost all neon's have head gasket problems and have to be replaced. Wish I knew that when I bought the thing.


Hopefully that isn't your problem as fixing it cost almost as much as the car is worth,but I had no choice. I couldn't afford a new car and I sure couldn't sell it with that problem.


Good luck,I hope you are luckier than I was.
to the dude that is unaware of it dodge and plymouth and chrysler are the same company just different badges that now include jeep and a few other crap mobiles


as far as your leaking goes it can be anywhere from a quick oil pan gasket to a 600 + dollar engine overhaul (i say that because if your leaking from a main sealor pump housing you might as well replace all the other crap inbetween)


good luck and get a few opinions since the first isnt always the cheapest
It really depends where the oil is leaking from..





If it's something that can be tightened or patched it won't cost much, but if you actually need to replace a part it may get pricey.





I had oil leaking from my cat converter, cost $400 to fix that sucker.
If it just started and is leaving a stream when you drive it chances are it's something simple. Maybe a loose drain plug or loose filter. If you fill it back up start it and see how bad it is leaking underneath. If it's not gushing out it should be safe to drive it a couple of blocks.
not real sure without seeing where its leaking from.front main seal?drain plug?have you had your oil changed lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment