Friday, December 18, 2009

What is wrong with my 2002 Pontiac GTP? Mechanic says there is an oil leak.?

My Pontiac has 110,000 miles. Recently when taking it in for an oil change they told me that there is a leak. I haven't seen a leak yet and I park in a garage. They put iodine in to determine where the leak is coming from and told me to come back in 50 miles. I'm concerned because after the research I have done it seems to be the gaskets. This is only my diagnosis, not theirs. However, research says that I should be smelling something and I haven't. The only thing is that the other day the low coolant light flickered on and I add coolant and it has been fine since. I'm a little concerned considering that the gasket job is anywhere from $700-1200. Maybe I should be looking at a new car? Any suggestions?What is wrong with my 2002 Pontiac GTP? Mechanic says there is an oil leak.?
I work in a ';Stealership'; As some people call it. I look at the bottom of cars all day. If you get a oil leak the oil can very easily spread out over the bottom of the car while driving. This makes finding the source of the the leak very difficult. Adding oil tracer dye does help to a point. Rear main's, oil pan seals, leaking oil drain plugs and over/under tightened oil filters are most problems. Plus if they added the dye they would have washed off the bottom of the car to make inspection a little easier in 50 miles.


3800 along with most GM's have bad intake gaskets. May be the cause of your low coolant light coming on.What is wrong with my 2002 Pontiac GTP? Mechanic says there is an oil leak.?
Sounds like you dont want to believe there is a leak, I doubt they told you there was a leak if there wasn't. Maybe it's not pouring out and as the dude earlier said check the oil more often. The dye will determine the source of the leak. Most cars out there have oil leaks, does that mean it's major everytime, no it doesn't. Dont fault them for bringing to your attention, sounds like they are doing their job to me.
Sounds as if you may have a coolant leak. If it's getting into your oil you have a very serious problem. Oil and anti-freeze when mixed together will trash your engine very quickly.


Check your dipstick - a strange color/consistency will be diagnostic. Stop operating the vehicle if that's the case.


You may be in for a head gasket (best scenario) or a head replacement.
if you know anything about cars, just climb under it and snug up the oil pan bolts some, they tend to work loose over time. also check the oil filter and drain plug. it also might be valve pan gaskets leaking and running down.
These cars sometimes get a leak at the rear main seal. Might not be alot of oil leaking thats why your not seeing a puddle. if it were my car I would check the oil regularly and make sure I am not losing much between oil changes and let it ride. That repair is worth about half that cars value at that mileage.


There is a reason they call the Dealership the STEALERSHIP.


That car IMO is good to drive, don't waste your money on expensive repairs unless you plan to keep it for a long period of time or if its going to cause catastrophic failure to a major component in the car sometime in the near future if not repaired.
It looks that your ';mechanic'; is looking for a new customer/victim. Where there is a leak, there is a spot on the floor. If you see no spot, then there is no leak. At least not an oil leak. As for the coolant, many times the radiator cap spring gets ';soggy'; after some time and let some fluids escape into the atmosfere. So you need to refill that fluids loss. Try to replace the radiator cap with a new one of the same rating - any good car-parts store can have it. An 02 car with 100K plus miles, if properly maintained, should give you a few more good years. But if you decide that is time for a new car, make that decision based on what you know and need. Not based on some ';Voodoo'; mechanic.
Strange how it is that they can see a leak, but can not determine the origin of the leak. They put Leak tracer dye in the engine so they can look at it later with a black light. This will allow them to determine the nature of the leak, OK, SURE THING. Yet you have no evidence of a leak and you park your vehicle in the same spot every night. This is not rocket science this is a scam. You have an estimate on an unknown leak, how did they determine that? I've been working on cars a long time, and it Gauls me to the bone to hear stories like this. Report them to the better business bureau and tell them to stick there repair where the sun does not shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment