Friday, December 18, 2009

Car wont start, headlights turn off when you try. Also, oil leak all after engine dieing on highway?

Last weekend my car engine died on the highway. It also had a large puddle of oil under it while parked on the side of the road. This is after a hour long trip and one stop 10 minutes earlier in which it ran smooth no check engine light and didn't over heat. Now when you try to start it the headlights and radio will turn off (radio resets all stations), all lights in the car and head lights will turn on fine with key in. It makes a knocking sound but doesn't try to turn over. There is also a high pitch whine sound that seems to be coming from the dash, it wasn't there before.





I filled my oil up no drips since so it may only be with the engine running it leaks, but the leak was significant on the highway and you can see a lot of oil in the engine compartment on the driver side on the components next to the engine block. I can't find the origin of the leak.





For a month know the only strange thing the car has done is have a winding sound when i turn the key to start the engine and also as the key releases. I didn't notice it until a month ago, and am unsure if it has any relation to this problem.





Has anyone had this problem or know what the problem might be. Let me know if you need details I have not included I am sure I have left something out you will need to know!!!





1998 Toyota Avalon xls 211000 miles manual





work done in past year: new coil packs, spark plugs and wires, (2) O2 sensors before cat. new water heater, and termistat. (as you can see I need help!) PS my car is paid off I am not getting a new one.Car wont start, headlights turn off when you try. Also, oil leak all after engine dieing on highway?
211k miles? its almost at the end of its life. did you check your starter? i think youll need to do a complete overhaul on your car. check everything.Car wont start, headlights turn off when you try. Also, oil leak all after engine dieing on highway?
As far as you starting problem. Sounds like a dead battery which could be from several things like old age or Alternator not charging which I'm inclined to believe it is due to the whining noise you hear and dieing on the road.. Take both to any parts store and have tested if you or someone can get them off the car, if not either charge your battery or jump start it from another vehicle. As far as the oil leak goes not sure from not seeing it you could have overfilled it but if it only leaked after it died I don't think that could be it. and it hasn't leaked since it really hard to say without seeing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment